Saturday, August 22, 2009

Interview with Zila Kahn, Sufi Singer

by Moumita Chakrabarti, Reporter



What does success mean to you?

While it is true that learning and knowledge results in success, I believe that true success comes when one can achieve internal peace. Even, according to the Vedas, in the end we should endeavour to find ‘peace within’. I am happy to be considered a successful Sufi artist as long as I feel peace within me.

What is your greatest strength?

My greatest strength is my power to overcome all obstacles that come my way and make the best use of all that I am blessed with — my lineage, my voice, aesthetics. ..I am proud to be the only woman in my family to have become an artist. I have fought for the empowerment of women and my father helped me break the barriers of culture. He gave me the platform to perform, making me what I am today.

What are your stress busters?

Singing and listening to music. Good music always relieves me .

God to you is...?

To me God is within us. We should try to finetune our sensibilities and celebrate the ‘Divine Human Being’ that He has created.

No comments:

Post a Comment